Information and resources for Alberta's K-12 curriculum and post-secondary education.
Helping your child with language-based learning disabilities : strategies to succeed in school and life with dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalculia, ADHD, & processing disorders
The learning habit : a groundbreaking approach to homework and parenting that helps our children succeed in school and life
Make virtual learning matter : how to turn virtual classrooms into a remarkable, authentic experience for kids
Smart but scattered : the revolutionary "executive skills" approach to helping kids reach their potential
Learn Alberta -- provided by the Government of Alberta, this site contains a number of resources to support Alberta's K-12 curriculum.
- My Child's Learning - information on the of educational choices for students K-12.
- Anytime Help, Anywhere (AHA) -- videos that focus on concepts that are key to success in junior high.
- ATA Library Guides -- hundreds of free online learning resources aligned with AB curriculum organized by subject/grade/topic, etc. Includes French language learning resources.
- EPSB Together Literacy & Numeracy App -- free literacy and numeracy app for families with K - 12 students. It has activities for parents and guardians to support learning in regular, French Immersion and bilingual programs.
- Internet Archive Student Library -- Open Library's Student Library, a School Library designed for a K - 12 audience. A subdivision of the Internet Archive. (Note: need to sign up for free Internet Archive account to access)
- Massive Online Open Courses (MOOCs) -- free courses offered by the University of Alberta that align with the Alberta Curriculum (7-12).
- The Key Study Guides -- links to TRACpac results for The Key materials. From Castle Rock Research.
- Encyclopedia.com - comprehensive reference source, offering access to a vast collection of encyclopedic articles, reference materials, and authoritative information across a wide range of subjects.
- Encyclopedia of Britannica - renowned and trusted digital and print reference source that provides comprehensive and reliable information on various subjects, serving as a valuable educational resource for users worldwide.
- Info Please - an online reference platform that offers a wealth of information and resources, including encyclopedic articles, facts, statistics, and historical data, making it a valuable source for general knowledge and research.
- World History Encyclopedia - an extensive online reference that offers detailed coverage of diverse historical topics, civilizations, and cultures, providing a valuable resource for exploring the rich tapestry of human history.
Educational Websites for Children:
- DKfindout! - provides a wealth of information on various topics, it is more of an educational website that offers interactive content, games, and resources for children rather than a comprehensive reference work like an encyclopedia.
- Fact Monster - provides a wide range of information, including reference materials, interactive quizzes, and homework help, making it a valuable tool for students and learners of all ages.
- Academic Kids - an online educational platform that offers a diverse range of information and resources aimed at providing educational content and resources for children and students, covering a wide range of academic subjects in a child-friendly and engaging manner.
The Canadian student financial survival guide : a comprehensive handbook on financing your education, managing your expenses & planning for a debt-free future
- Alberta Learning Information Service (ALIS) - Post-Secondary Programs -- explore Post-Secondary training and programs in Alberta. Learn about apprenticeship programs and find information about distance learning programs available in Western Canada.
- Alberta Student Aid -- offers student loans, grants, scholarships, and awards for Albertans pursuing full-time or part-time post-secondary studies.
- ApplyAlberta -- online application and transcript transfer system that anyone can use to apply to undergraduate programs at one or more of Alberta's post-secondary institutions.
- Healthy Campus Alberta -- offers free webinars and recordings on mental health and wellness on post-secondary campuses.
- Inclusion Alberta - Inclusive Post-Secondary -- partners with post-secondary institutions across Alberta to include students with developmental disabilities to participate in regular programs of study and campus life.
- Indigenous Bursaries Search Tool -- from the Government of Canada, a searchable list of 518 bursaries, scholarships and incentives across Canada.
- Maclean's University Rankings 2022 -- annual ranking of Canada's post-secondary institutions, professors and staff, and residence life. Created from survey results from over 19,000 Canadian students.
- School Finder -- database of schools, programs, and scholarships. Includes information on admissions, fees, financial aid, and more.
Research - Canadian Sources
- Bibliothèque des Amériques -- Franco-American digital library.
- Canada GenWeb Project -- a gateway to free Canadian genealogy resources, organized by province.
- Canadiana Online -- this virtual library holds the most complete set of full-text historical content about Canada, including books, magazines and government documents.
- Dictionary of Canadian Biography -- a searchable online collection of approximately 8,500 detailed biographies of noteworthy Canadians.
- Historica Canada -- Canada's largest independent organization devoted to enhancing awareness of Canadian history and citizenship.
- Library and Archives Canada - this collection contains materials in all types of formats from across Canada and around the world that are of interest to Canadians.
- Alberta Research Portal -- gives anyone in Alberta access to millions of primary documents from institutions all over the world.
- Education Services Information Center (ERIC) -- bibliographic & full-text database
- Directory of Open Access Journals - access journal articles, mostly science.
- MIT OpenCourseWare - access course materials from MIT classes
Academic Search Engines
- Google Scholar - google search scholarly articles, these, books and conference papers
- Biefeld Academic Search Engine (BASE)- a wide range of academic resources such as articles, books, theses, and conference papers
- Connection Repository (CORE) - access to scholarly research outputs, including articles, preprints, theses, and conference papers, focusing on open-access content
- Semantic Scholar - AI-powered academic search engine. Features include citation analysis, topic extraction, and personalized recommendations